Monday, November 12, 2012

Changes to the Topic

This post may be a little late, but it will be a blessing in disguise. Not only have I gotten more time to research and develop my topic, but I have received a comment from Alex Shoenfeld that has given me a whole new direction to my topic that I am hoping to pursue.
My Topic Choice post focused only on the positive impact of technology and social media upon human interaction. After reading Alex's comments on my topic, I realized that I did not even consider the negative aspect of all this advancement, that is the certain disconnect from reality. This idea has opened my eyes to a whole new direction in which I want to take my topic. I really am interested in analyzing the FULL effect that the internet, social media, and texting have on our daily lives, positive and negative. Harmful side effects of all this technological advancement include texting while driving, distractions of computers in the classroom, attention span decrease, disengaged conversations, and supposed "friends" and "followers".
Here are some of the resources I have thought of: Utilizing statistics, data, and studies on information that relays the harmful impact of the digital age. Interviewing people on how much time they spend on the computer and phone. Researching cases that internet connections have directly and clearly had an important impact on the world. The book High Tech/High Touch: Technology and Our Search for Meaning may be of use, but it does not specifically discuss the aspect of connection and interaction through technology. Computers, Phones, and the Internet: Domesticating Information Technology may turn out to be extremely useful if I can get my hands on it.
For now, that is what I am working on, but not nearly all that will go into the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment